Rice Horchata Recipe to Make with Kids
Make Traditional Mexican Drink “Horchata” together with your kids. The Rice Horchata Drink has been made many times and now kids know how to make it on their own with a little help. Soak rice overnight, and make it together in the morning.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Idle time: 8 hours
KEY WORDS: Traditional Mexican Drink, Vegan, Keto, Dairy Free
INGREDIENTS FOR TRADITIONAL RICE HORCHATA:
- 1 cup of rice (white or brown)
- 2 cup of water
- 1 cup of milk (can of evaporated milk, if traditional, or a dairy free-milk or dairy-free creamer)
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup of sugar (dates or raw turbinado)
- Mesh Strainer
Vegans substitute milk and sugar for natural nut creamer.
RICE HORCHATA INSTRUCTIONS:
- Soak rice in water overnight. In a saucepan, boil the water with the 2 cinnamon sticks, let cool.
- Blend the rice with its water, the water with cinnamon and a piece of it to the finest.
- Use a fine mesh strainer to transfer the mix to a large pitcher. Add milk (dairy free, if desired) to taste.
- Add 2 to 3 cups of more water and stir with sugar and vanilla to taste. Add ice to serve.