Make Silky Smoothie Gelato Vegan Recipe from your smoothies – add 3 key ingredients: tapioca flour, almond butter and oil.
SILKY SMOOTHIE GELATO RECIPE
- PREP TIME: 5 min.
- COOK TIME: 45 min.
- COURSE: Dessert, Ice-cream, Fruit Gelato
- CUISINE: Modernist, Gluten free, Vegan, Keto, Plant-based, Kosher
- SERVINGS: 8
- AUTHOR: Inspired by Modernist Cuisine at Home, Pistachio Gelato recipe by M. Bilet and Nathan Myhrvold.
KEY WORDS: eggs free, dairy free, fruits, sugar free
INGREDIENTS for Silky Smoothie Gelato Recipe
- 1 cups of water (or juice or almond milk)
- 1/4 cup of tapioca flour (or other starch)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 cups of your favorite smoothies (or puree frozen fruits)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 3/4 cups of nut butter (almond butter or other)
- 1/2 cup of oil
- coconut shred, cacao nibs, small pieces of nuts, or orange zest (optional) to decorate
TOOLS Silky Smoothie Gelato Recipe:
- pan to bring to a boil
- ice-cream machine (preferably)
- nut butter substitute with smoothie but the texture will be not as silky
- smoothie can be replaced with 2 cups of fruit puree, and 1 cup of milk (coconut, almond, or other)
- Measure, blend, bring to a boil the 1st combo. Mix constantly.
- Measure 2nd combo of ingredients and blend
- Add Combo 1 and blend everything together to the finest texture (yogurt texture, add liquid like almond milk if too thick)
- Transfer the mixture into an ice-cream machine. Nota Bene: no ice-cream machine, freeze ingredients in step 2 (fruits or smoothies) and then blend
- Serve freshly made Silky Gelato right away or put gelato into a container. Cover it with a plastic wrap to leave no air. Keep in a freezer for a max of 2-3 days.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes before serving. Decorate with fresh orange zest/ coconut shred/ cacao nibs/ or pieces of nuts. Enjoy!
Inspired Pistachio Gelato recipe from Modernist Cuisine at Home Book by Maxime Bilet and Nathan Myhrvold. Tasted the original recipe during Harvard Science and Cooking course, Harvard, Cambridge. Tested hundreds of times at home to come up with the Silky Smoothie Gelato recipe.