Food is love. A meal someone cooks for you is an offering of the heart and soul. Shabbat Challah recipe is easy to prepare.
SHABBAT CHALLAH EASY RECIPE
Food connects souls in love and creates community. Recipes get passed down from one generation to another. The flavors and aromas you grew up with shape you and remind you of where you come from and who you belong to. Food can teach you that you are part of a collective soul, that you are a member of a culture, of a people, with a common history and a shared destiny.
Yes, food is love. A meal someone cooks for you is an offering of the heart and soul. Your table can become the soul of your home, a gravitational force drawing extended families to feast together and create memories that will last a lifetime.Naomi Levy
Einstein and the Rabbi:
Searching for the Soul
PREP TIME: 5 min.
COOK TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes not counting idle time.
IDLE TIME: 4-5 hrs.
COURSE: Dessert, Holiday Recipes
CUISINE: Kosher, Jewish Cuisine
SERVINGS: 2 Small Challahs
AUTHOR: This recipe was passed from a mother to a daughter-in-law. It makes Two challahs.
INGREDIENTS FOR SHABBAT CHALLAH RECIPE:
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1.5 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2-2.5+ cups of flour
TOOL FOR SHABBAT CHALLAH RECIPE:
Tilt-head stand mixer with a dough attachment for easy kneading (or knead by hand or with a bread maker machine)
VARIATIONS FOR SHABBAT CHALLAH RECIPE:
add raisins, seeds, etc.
STEPS FOR SHABBAT CHALLAH RECIPE:
- Mix 1/2 c. warm water, 1.5 tsp yeast and 1 tsp sugar. Let proof for 5-15 minutes.
- Add egg, olive oil, salt, and 1/4 c. sugar and mix. Add flour by 1/2 cups at a time and knead, adding more flour, if necessary. Knead until smooth and elastic, 8 minutes.
- Place the dough inside an oiled bowl, cover with a food wrap and let rise for 2-3 hours in a warm place.
- Roll out dough and braid into two challahs. Cover with a plastic wrap not to dry. Let rise for 1 hour.
- Brush on egg wash and bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes (until golden brown on top)