Kids Nutrition Plate – What do you need to know? Choose and eat a healthy meal with fruits and vegetables, protein, whole grains, healthy oils, water that and physical exercises.
- Use healthy oils (like Olive, Sunflower, Sesame) for cooking, on salad, & with lunches. Limit butter. Avoid trans fat.
- The more veggies & the greater the variety & color – the better. Potatoes & french fries don’t count because of their impact on blood sugar.
- Pack plenty of fruits of all colors
- Give them water. Limit milk/dairy (1-2 serving/day) & juice (1 small cup/day). Avoid sugary drinks
- Pack whole grains (bread, pasta, brown rice), quinoa. Limit refine grains (like white rice & white bread).
- Be grateful & stay active
WHAT DOES KIDS NUTRITION PLATE INCLUDE AND WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
- Fruit & vegetables are full of vitamins & minerals & keep our digestive system healthy.
- Whole grains Carbohydrates provide us with energy.
- Dairy products such as milk, yogurt, kefir, & cheese help to build strong bones & teeth.
- Healthy protein builds & repairs our bones, muscles, skin, hair, nails & body tissues.
- Fats keep us warm & can be stored in the body for energy. Foods that are high in unhealthy trans. fats, such as cakes, cookies, and chips, should be eaten only in small amounts. Fats found in oily fish, olives, nuts, and seeds are a healthier alternative, if used in moderation.
MAKE SIMPLE SWITCHES FOR KIDS NUTRITION PLATE:
- Smaller portions with all the food groups for a few large ones.
- Whole fruit for fruit juice.
- Carrots, sweet mini peppers, or celery sticks for potato chips.
- A whole-grain wrap or a rice cake for sliced white bread.
- Dried fruit for candy. Black chocolate for white.
- Greek yogurt for ice cream and sour cream.
- Olive oil with low sat. fat for butter and creamy sauce.
- Dates Sugar for sugar.
- Ceylon Cinnamon for cinnamon.
SOURCE TO KIDS NUTRITION PLATE:
- which sweetener is healthier?