Chocolate Gelato Recipe
Chocolate Gelato Lab Recipe is easy to make together with kids in the kitchen. It’s eggs-free. And, it works without ice-cream machine, just a blender! We tested the recipe with kids and it taste delicious!
PREP TIME: 10 min.
COOK TIME: 25 min.
COURSE: Frozen Dessert
CUISINE: Australia, Gelato, Egg-free, Ann Readon Fusion Cuisine
AUTHOR: Adapted from Ann Readon @HOWTOCOOKTHAT recipe
KEY WORDS: no ice-cream machine, eggs-free, learning the science of chocolate!
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE GELATO:
- 600 millilitres (2 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp and 1 tsp) whole milk
- 150 millilitres (1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp) heavy whipping cream
- 180g (1/2 cup) superfine sugar
- 50g (1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp and 1 tsp) skim milk powder
- 60g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 100g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- optional: fresh orange zest & black tapioca pearls for decor
- Microwave (or melt on a bowl over a pan of boiling water)
- Ice cream mold
- If using ice-cream machine, no need to add xanthan gum
- Dark chocolate with orange, sea salt, or other flavors will work for this recipe
STEPS FOR CHOCOLATE GELATO
- Mix dry milk, cocoa powder, & fine sugar together into a bowl.
- Melt the chocolate & cream using a microwave (30 sec stir, 20 sec stir, 10 sec stir, repeat 10 sec stir until melted)
- Add milk, orange extract, and the chocolate mixture into a blender and mix for a few minutes. NO ICE-CREAM MACHINE add the xanthum gum to the blender and skip the 4th step. The mixture will thicken slightly
- Cool the blended mixture completely and then add to the ice-cream machine.
- Transfer the gelato to a container, press plastic wrap onto the surface of the gelato. Place in the freezer for 4 hours.
- Decorate with fresh orange zest and cooked black tapioca pearls (bubble tea black bubbles).
Go to the Chocolate Science Lab to learn the chocolate science !